Veggie Dog Roll-Ups : Low Fat
These baked roll-ups are great for a party or family meal. They are lower in fat and calories, yet taste like a rich treat.
Makes 10 roll-ups. Prep: 15 minutes. Cooking 30 minutes. Total time: 45 minutes.
- 1-20 oz can Worthington Low Fat Veja-Links
- 1-14.5 oz can pinto beans or similar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil (divided use)
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 lb egg roll wrappers (20 count)
*I have used Worthington products for many years and my family loves them. Recently, Atlantic Natural Foods sent me sample of the latest Worthington low fat products, and I have used them in this recipe.
- Drain the Veja-Links and roll them in a clean kitchen towel or paper toweling to dry.
- Rinse and drain the beans. Set them aside in a strainer.
- In a medium skillet on medium high heat, add 2 teaspoons of the oil and saute the onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, jalapeno, tomato, and chili powder; saute another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pinto beans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and put 2 tablespoons of water in a cup by your work station.
- Stack 2 wrappers together at your work station so that one corner faces you. (You will use a doubled egg roll wrapper for each roll-up.)
- Place 2 tablespoon of the skillet mixture in the center and spread across to the size of a Veja-Link. Add a Veja-Link on top.
- Fold bottom corner up and over the link. Fold sides in towards the center. Roll towards the top. Moisten the top point with a bit of water on your finger. Seal the roll shut.
- Lightly brush the roll-up on all sides with some of the remaining oil. Place on a large un-greased baking sheet.
- Repeat this process, spacing the roll-ups at least 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip them over. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes, or until well-browned.
- Cool 5-10 minutes. Serve with wasabi sauce, mustard, ketchup, or your favorite dipping sauce.