Sicilian Broccoli Spaghetti
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 oz broccoli (about 4 cups)
- 8 oz spaghetti, broken in thirds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c pitted ripe olives
- 1 dry red pepper, crumbled (or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp Romano cheese, grated
- Boil the water and salt.
- Wash the broccoli and cut into small florets.
- Peel the stems and cut the interiors of the stems into bite-sized pieces.
- Drop the broccoli into the boiling water, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a large covered bowl, leaving boiling water in the pot.
- Drop the spaghetti into the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Reserving 1 of pasta cooking water, remove the spaghetti with a slotted spoon and place in the covered bowl with the broccoli.
- In a large skillet over medium high, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the olives and red pepper and saute another minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add to the covered bowl.
- Add the black pepper, Romano cheese, and the reserved pasta cooking water. Blend well and serve hot.