Use this vegan pepperoni in omelets, casseroles, pizza, sandwiches and many other vegetarian dishes. It adds a spicy kick to your recipes.
Makes 2 (6-inch) pepperoni sticks.
- 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c textured vegetable protein (TVP) granules
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp black seeds
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1/4 c pureed or refried beans
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, blend the dry ingredients well.
- Add the water, beans, and shortening, mixing in with a spoon. Use hands to thoroughly mix and knead the dough. (Add another teaspoon or two of water if needed.)
- Divide dough in half and form two rolls that are 6-inches long.
- Wrap each roll tightly in foil and place directly on oven rack. Bake 60 minutes, turning over mid-way.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing or chopping for recipes. This pepperoni should be covered and stored in the refrigerator or freezer.