I have revised this recipe, made the patties smaller and with fewer ingredients. These tasty sausage patties hold together nicely without need for binders. This is a large batch. Freeze some of them for later.
Makes about 65 small sausage patties.
- 3 c water
- 2 Tbsp onion powder or granules
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp gumbo file (optional)
- 3 c TVP granules(textured vegetable protein)
- 1 1/2 c quick oats
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large pot, mix the water, onion powder, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, thyme, sage, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and gumbo file.
- Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from burner. Stir in the TVP and quick oats until well-combined.
- Cool 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and generously oil a full-sized baking sheet or 2 half-sized sheets.
- Break off dollops of the mixture that are about 2 tablespoons in size. Form into 1 1/2 inch patties with damp hands. Place on the oiled baking sheet(s) close together.
- Brush tops with the vegetable oil.
- Bake 20 minutes or until firm and browned.
- Serve hot immediately, or refrigerate and reheat later. Store extra patties in air-tight containers in freezer. Thaw in refrigerator, then reheat as usual.