Mung Beans with Garden Greens
This simple stove-top dish is earthy and satisfying. It makes a hearty lunch, or side dish for a vegetarian dinner. Delicious!
Makes about 4 cups.
- 2 c cooked mung beans*
- 1 c cooked basmati brown rice
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp water
- 8 c chopped fresh kale and green chard
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add water and the greens. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add mung beans, rice, salt, and cayenne. Cook and stir often until heated through and well-mixed.
- Serve hot with topping of cheddar cheese.
*To cook mung beans, place 1 cup of dry mung beans in a 2 quart pot. Add 3 cups water and a tablespoon of oil. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer 40 minutes, or until tender. (Makes 4 cups or enough to double the above recipe.)