Vegetarian 7 Layer Dinner
This recipe is based on a vintage layered dish. I have added a vegetarian twist that I hope you will enjoy.
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 c seitan, small slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly slices (1/4 inch)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage (less if powdered)
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 2 medium carrots, peeled. thinly sliced
- 1/4 c raw long grain white rice
- 1 (15 oz) can peas with liquid
- 2 c cabbage, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and butter a 13 x 9 x-2 inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet over low heat, melt butter. Add seitan and cook a few minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Remove from burner and set aside.
- In prepared baking dish, place the potatoes in an even layer.
- In a small bowl, blend the onion powder, salt, pepper, marjoram and sage to make a seasoning blend.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the seasoning blend evenly over potatoes.
- Add carrots. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of seasoning blend.
- Distribute seitan over the carrots.
- Sprinkle rice over the dish.
- Distribute peas with their liquid evenly on top.
- Add layer of cabbage, followed by remaining seasoning blend.
- Pour tomatoes over dish.
- Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake 60 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Remove foil away from face (steam). Serve hot with bread on the side.