Tofu in Thai Curry Sauce
- 2 pounds firm tofu
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp dried lemongrass
- 1 c boiling water
- 1/4 c red onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 inch know ginger root, peeled, minced
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 Tbsp corn starch mixed in 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 (8 oz) can or carton natural coconut juice
- Cut the tofu into triangles that are about 1/2 inch thick. Place a clean tea towel on a large baking sheet (or two smaller ones). Place the tofu triangles on the towel in a single layer. Cover with another towel and place another baking sheet on top for pressure. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat one tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large skillet or on a large griddle. Allow to heat on medium. Working in one or two batches, place the tofu in the hot oil. Do not disturb for a few minutes, or until browned on the bottoms. Flip over and brown on the other side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Steep the dried lemongrass in the cup of boiling water. Strain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium low, heat the remaining half-tablespoon of coconut oil. Add minced onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add the strained lemongrass tea, the ketchup, soy sauce, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, coriander, sugar, white pepper, salt and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the slurry of corn starch mixed in water; stir until slightly thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the coconut juice, lime juice and tofu triangles. Remove cinnamon stick. Heat the curry briefly. Serve hot over boiled rice.