I used extra virgin olive oil in this recipe, and love the rich taste of the crust. You may also use a light olive oil to avoid any olive flavor. This crust works well in savory, as well as sweet pie recipes.
Makes one single 9.5 inch pie crust.
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (rounded) fine sea salt
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4 Tbsp ice water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, and salt. In a small bowl, beat the olive oil and ice water together until viscous and creamy.
- Add oil mixture to flour mixture and combine with a fork Bring into a dough ball with the fork, adding a teaspoon or two of ice water if needed.
- Place dough ball on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Flour the top of the dough.
- Place another sheet of wax paper on top and roll to one-inch larger than a 9.5 inch pie plate.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper. Put upside down pie plate on top, centered. Get your hand under the bottom sheet of wax paper, and flip the pie plate and rolled pie dough over. Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Crimp crust edges. Immediately fill and bake, or place a sheet of wax paper on top and refrigerate until you are ready to fill the shell. (Note: If baking the pie more than 40 minutes, you may need to cover the pie crust rim with foil or a pie crust protective ring.)