Sweet and Sour TerkettesHere is our first entry in the Terkettes challenge. Check our blog every Tuesday night for a new Terkettes recipe.
- 1 c Terkettes or seitan
- 3 T cornstarch, divided use
- 2 T cooking oil
- 1 c celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 c green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 c onion, cut into wedges
- 1 c canned pineapple chunks
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- Place Terkettes in a bowl or bag containing 1 Tbsp of the cornstarch.
- Coat the Terkettes with cornstarch.
- Mix the other 2 Tbsp of cornstarch in 1/4 c of the water and set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok or skillet over medium low and add Terkettes.
- Fry on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- In the remaining oil, saute the celery, bell pepper, and onion until almost tender; add pineapple and watch closely so it browns a bit, but does not burn.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a saucepan, place the remaining 1 c of water, salt, honey, vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce.
- Heat to simmering and add the cornstarch slurry which you set aside.
- Stir vigorously until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Correct for seasonings.
- Pour over vegetables, add the drained Terkettes, and stir.
- Garnish with green onions.