Hungarian Eggplant Paprika
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 c eggplant cut in 1" chunks (unpeeled)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 c canned diced tomatoes
- 2 c water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add eggplant and onions; sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté another minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes and water. Add potatoes, smoked paprika, Hungarian paprika, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring mid-way.
- Mix the cornstarch in a couple of tablespoons of water. Stir it into the pot and continue stirring until slightly thickened and hot.
- Serve hot with crusty bread, or ladle it over rice or noodles.