Curried Tofu and LentilsThis curried dish is comprised of stewed vegetables, lentils and tofu. All of the vitamins are infused in the sauce, making it especially nutritious and flavorful. I used dry lentils, but canned lentils would work fine. For the vegetable broth, I used McKay's beef style vegetarian broth and seasoning.
- 1-12 ounce block of extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp of canola oil, divided use\
- salt and black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 dry red chili, shredded or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 3/4 c tomato sauce
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c yellow or brown lentils
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 c brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- Drain tofu and wrap in a clean tea towel, pressing slightly. Allow to stand and drain 30 minutes. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. In a large skillet over medium, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil and brown the tofu on all sides, sprinkling with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium large pot, add the remaining oil and heat over medium. Add the chopped onion and brown it, sprinkling with a tiny dash of salt. Stir in the curry, turmeric, garam masala and chili pepper and heat until just aromatic. Add the vegetable broth and tomato sauce.
- Add carrots, peas, potatoes and lentils. Stir well. Add the tofu and honey, stirring gently. Simmer uncovered over a very low flame for about 30 minutes, stirring often to be sure the lentils do not stick on the bottom. Turn off the flame, cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Serve over brown rice.