Canary beans have many names: Peruano beans, Mayocoba beans, or Mexican yellow beans. They are a perfect choice for this vegan curry due to their creaminess.
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground or crushed coriander seeds
- 3 c canary beans, cooked and drained
- 1-14 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies, undrained
- 1-13 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tsp lime zest, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a large heavy pot over medium low heat, melt the butter in the oil. Saute the onions about 5 minutes; add garlic, curry powder and ground coriander powder; saute another 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve over rice, and sprinkle with chopped green onion and cilantro if desired.