Barley Stuffed Yellow Squash
This tasty dish is fit for company. Pair it with baked potatoes or sweet potato fries.
- 3 medium yellow squashes (about 2.5 lb altogether)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 c diced onion
- 3/4 c pearled barley
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 c vegetarian chicken-style broth
- 1/4 c chopped raw almonds
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley or sliced green onions (optional)
- Place washed squashes in a pot of water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Cool squashes. Cut each in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and invert shells briefly to drain. Place shells in oiled baking dish(es).
- In a medium, heavy pot, melt butter on medium low heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add barley and saute 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add allspice, coriander, turmeric and salt. Pour in the broth.
- Once the mixture is boiling, cover, reduce to lowest setting, and simmer 40 minutes. Stir and scrape bottom of pan twice during cooking time.
- Fluff barley and stir in half of the almonds. Stuff each squash shell with the barley mixture. Top with remaining almonds.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.