Holiday Fig Cookies
Here is my latest version of Christmas fig cookies. They have a holiday spicey flavor that I really enjoy.
Makes about 80 medium cookies.
- 4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c Calimyrna figs, de-stemmed, snipped into bits
- 2 c pitted dates, snipped into bits
- 1 c golden raisins
- 1/2 c dried apricots, chopped
- 2/3 c walnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c spiced rum
- 1/2 c peach jam
Egg Wash and Sprinkles:
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 c multi-colored sprinkles
- In a large mixer bowl with a paddle, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Coarsely shred cold butter on box grater. Add to mixer; process on medium low until well-distributed.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Process until dough comes together, Cover tightly and refrigerate 3 hours or more.
- In large food processor (or working in two batches), place figs, dates, raisins, apricots, walnuts, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon, rum and peach jam.
- Process until you have a coarse paste.
Assembly and Baking:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On clean, floured work surface, cut chilled dough into six equal pieces. Roll them into balls.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll one dough ball into thin 14 X 5 inch rectangle.
- Put one-sixth of the filling mixture down the center of the rectangle. Fold over one side of dough, then the other, forming a long, thin roll.
- Turn seam-side down. Using sharp knife, cut roll into 3/4-inch segments. Place segments on parchment-lined baking sheet, at least 1.5-inches apart.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls and filling, using as many baking sheets and batches as needed.
- Make egg wash by beating the 2 eggs with the water until very well-blended. Brush tops of a few cookies at a time with egg wash. While still moist, decorate with sprinkles.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on bottom. Cool on rack.