Sauerkraut Potato Casserole
This inexpensive, low calorie vegetarian entree is delicious and satisfying.
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp butter (for top)
- 1 (15 oz) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 c apple juice
- 1 medium sweet apple, cut in 1/3-inch pieces
- 1 c peas, fresh, frozen, or canned (drained)
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Peel potatoes and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place potatoes in pot and cover with salted water.
- Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes; rice them with a potato masher.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper. Blend well. Set aside.
Sauerkraut Layer and Baking Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and butter an 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish or 6-cup casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, place the sauerkraut, apple juice, apple pieces, peas, melted butter, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Stir well to blend. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and smooth top.
- Spoon the potato mixture on top and spread in an even layer. Dot with the tablespoon (or two) of butter. If desired, sprinkle with more rosemary and some paprika.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cut in 6 squares or spoon the casserole out. Serve with salad or steamed carrots.