Broccoflower Quinoa Casserole
- 1/2 medium head broccoflower
- 3 c water
- 1 tsp salt (divided use)
- 1 c white quinoa, dry
- 1 (10 oz) bottle mushroom pieces and stems
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/4 c chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 c (approx) soy or dairy milk
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut broccoflower into bite-sized florets (You should have about 3-4 cups).
- In a 2-quart or larger pot over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the broccoflower and quinoa.
- Bring to boil, stir, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from burner, drain off any excess liquid, returning the broccoflower/quinoa mixture to the pot, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Drain the mushrooms, reserving the packing broth. Place packing broth in a measuring beaker and add enough milk to bring the measure to 1 1/4 cups.
- In a medium skillet over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the drained mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour until dissolved.
- Add the broth/milk mixture, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt; stir until smooth, thickened and just beginning to simmer.
- Pour the skillet mixture over the broccoflower/quinoa mixture, stir to combine, and place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro or parsley. Serve hot.