Easy Nectarine Freezer Jam
I don't peel the nectarines for this jam; I just cut around the pits, in half-inch chunks.
Makes about 7-8 cups.
- 4 pounds ripe, firm nectarines
- 3 c unrefined sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 (1.75 oz) pkg fruit pectin, such as "Sure-Jell"
- 1/2 c water
- Cut the nectarines in half-inch chunks, using a paring knife and trimming around the pits.
- Place the fruit in a large, heavy pot; add sugar, lemon juice, fruit pectin, and water.
- Cook on high heat, stirring constantly until the jam reaches a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat off and mash the jam with a potato ricer to your desired consistency. (This may also be done with an immersion blender, but be very careful not to splatter the scalding, hot jam!)
- Funnel the jam into very clean freezer containers or jars. Leave ample head room for expansion (about 1 1/2 inches or more). Cap or seal the containers and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place in freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to use, place in refrigerator and use within a month.