Banana Besan Waffles : Gluten FreeIn developing this recipe, I wanted to use chickpea flour (besan), as I heard it really makes for a nice crispy waffle. I also wanted to use up some ripe bananas. The end result was delicious...and high in protein!
Makes 5-6 medium waffles.
- 3 medium bananas (or one cup mashed bananas)
- 3/4 c buttermilk (or 3/4 c non-dairy milk +2 tsp lemon juice)
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 2 c chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with fork until very smooth.
- Add buttermilk and oil; blend well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the besan, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk just until no dry ingredients appear. (Batter may have small lumps.)
- Preheat waffle iron on medium heat. Oil or butter the top and bottom of the iron.
- Use about 1/2 cup batter for each waffle and follow manufacturer's instructions if using an electric waffle iron. If using a stove top model, cook 30 seconds on first side, flip and cook 30 seconds on the second side. Flip to the first side again and cook for 15 seconds more, and back to the second side for 15 seconds.
- Hold waffles in a warm oven on a rack until all waffles are done. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.