Roasted Barley Tea
My daughter regularly makes this refreshing iced drink, which in Japanese is called "Mugicha". It is extremely healthful and has a sweet, delicate flavor.
Makes about 5 cups.
- 8 c water
- 1/4 c pearled barley
- Place the water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet on high for 2.5 minutes, or until it just starts to smoke.
- Reduce heat to low; add barley.
- Roast barley, constantly stirring, for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. (The aroma will peak and then turn less pleasant after this amout of time.)
- Place barley in a sieve. Toss and spin to cool for a few minutes.
- When water is boiling, add roasted barley. Reduce heat enough to maintain a simmer. Continue to simmer 30 minutes. Strain and drain.
- Serve chilled over ice.