Pasta with Chickpea Sauce
This chickpea sauce is surprisingly creamy and luscious. I really love this easy vegan pasta dish! I hope you will too.
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas with liquid
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 c water
- 1 sprig rosemary, stem removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Serrano chile pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c pure coconut milk
- 12 oz pasta, cooked al dente
- In a high speed blender, place the chickpeas with their packing broth, the tomato paste, water, rosemary needles, and salt. Process until very smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and Serrano chile. Sauté another minute.
- Stir the chickpea mixture into the pot, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and correct for salt level. Bring back to heat.
- Ladle sauce over the cooked pasta. Garnish with parsley, basil, or a dash of dry oregano.