These “Meatballs” taste like the traditional Italian ones, and yet are vegetarian. They can be served in a submarine sandwich with spaghetti sauce. They are especially delicious on pasta with our Marinara Sauce with Mirin.
Makes about 25 meatballs.
- 12 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper with seeds
- 2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c dry plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- Press excess water out of the tofu by squeezing it over a colander.
- Place tofu, jalapeno, cheddar cheese, Parmesan, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, celery, onion, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth and pureed.
- Place about a rounded tablespoon of the mixture in your palms and roll into a 1-inch ball. Repeat with remaining mixture until you have about 25 meatballs.
- Working in two batches, heat half of the oil in a heavy skillet over low heat. When oil is shimmering, place half of the meatballs in the skillet and fry, turning 3-4 times until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate and fry the remaining meatballs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil a large baking sheet. Place the meatballs on the sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and serve immediately, or cool and refrigerate. (Meatballs will taste even better the second day.)