Miso is a fermented soy bean product that adds nutrition and flavor to many dishes. In this dish, it gives the marinade a wonderful rich quality.
- 1/2 medium eggplant
- 6 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 recipe Miso Marinade (below)
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Rinse the tofu and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place the eggplant and tofu in a quart-sized plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, blend together the marinade ingredients. Pour into the plastic bag, seal tightly, and turn over a few times to distribute the marinade evenly. Place the bag on a platter and refrigerate for about an hour, turning occasionally to coat well.
- Remove the membranes, stem, and seeds from the pepper; cut in bite-sized pieces. In a large wok or skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil and sesame seed oil. Add the red bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove to a large bowl.
- To the wok, add the tofu/eggplant mixture (with its marinade) and allow to brown a minute or two. Add the soy sauce and red pepper flakes and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Pour into the bowl and blend with the red bell pepper. Serve hot on a bed of steamed brown rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.