The cubes of tofu and eggplant in this recipe remain firm and flavorful. If you have any leftovers, they will make a wonderful snack straight from the refrigerator.
- 1 – 12 oz block firm tofu
- 1 medium eggplant
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp black or brown sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 tsp ground dry ginger)
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro leaves
- Rinse and dry tofu. Slice into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix the soy sauce, honey, ketchup, vinegar, sesame seeds, garlic, pepper, ginger and red chili flakes in a deep bowl.
- Add the tofu and eggplant cubes and stir gently to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain tofu and eggplant cubes and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then turn the cubes, and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with garlic crostini or on a bed of steamed rice.