There are three forms of celery in this dish, so if you love celery as much as we do, this is a good dish for you. Be sure to use the silken variety of tofu, as it is creamier.
- 1 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 c green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c celery, chopped
- 3 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of celery soup
- 12 oz firm silken tofu, mashed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 slices white bread, diced
- 2 Tbsp melted margarine or butter
- 1/3 c Italian style dry bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, melt the margarine over medium heat and saute the onion and serrano pepper until they begin to brown or about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and celery seed and saute another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the bell pepper, celery, parsley, sauteed vegetables, salt, celery soup, tofu, and eggs.
- Fold in the diced bread and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the surface.
- Mix the topping ingredients and spoon evenly on top of the casserole.
- Bake 1 hour, or until lightly browned and bubbly. Serve hot.