I have noticed that textured vegetable (soy) protein varies greatly in flavor and texture. My favorite types are put out by Betta Foods.
- 1 c textured vegetable protein chunks (TVP) (mutton, lamb or beef flavored)
- 2 c boiling water
- 2 tsp dry beef style vegetarian broth mix
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut in medium pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the TVP in the boiling water mixed with broth mix for 15 minutes.
- In a 2 quart or larger heavy pot, heat the oil on medium low. Add onion and bell pepper. Saute until tender. Stir in garlic and thyme. Saute another minute.
- Add potatoes, TVP with soaking broth, and bay leaf. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring midway and adding a bit of water if needed. Add salt and pepper (if needed) to taste. Remove bay leaf and serve hot with bread.