Salsa Verde is made with tomatillos, and provides a nice tartness in this chili. Serve with shredded cheese or chopped cilantro on top.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp mild chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dry cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 c mild green salsa, canned or fresh
- 3 c pinto beans, partially mashed
- 1/2 c fresh parsley, minced
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium flame. Saute the onion and bell pepper for 3 minutes, adding the salt.
- Add garlic and jalapeno peppers and saute another minute. Stir in the chili powder, cilantro and cumin and stir a few seconds.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, green chili salsa, vegetable broth, pinto beans, and parsley and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 45 minutes, stirring often. Serve hot.