This is my Americanized, vegan version of “Chanakhi”, a traditional Russian Lamb and Eggplant Stew. Use plain, chicken or beef flavored soya chunks (TVP). This stew has a wonderful combination of spices.
- 3 1/2 c hot water
- 2 Tbsp beef style broth mix
- 1 c soya chunks (TVP or TSP**)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cubed
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red waxy potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 c cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp each: basil, savory and dill
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp each: black pepper and cayenne
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the hot water and broth mix. Soak the soya chunks in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large oven-proof pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and peppers and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic; saute another minute.
- Add the soya chunks with their soaking broth, the eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, cilantro, coriander seeds, fenugreek, basil, savory, dill, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Stir to blend well.
- Cover tightly and bake 1 hour. Serve hot with whole grain bread.
**TVP stands for textured vegetable protein. TSP stands for textured soy protein. Both are names for soya protein.