I have recently tried the Daiya vegan cheese products, and find they work very nicely in my recipes. Here I used the pepper jack shreds. They help make a creamy broth with a touch of spicy heat.
- 1 small bunch broccoli
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1/2 c red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 c milk, dairy or vegan
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 c Daiya pepper jack vegan cheese shreds (or use dairy cheese)
- Trim and peel thick stems of broccoli. Slice the peeled stems and cut the florets into bite-sized pieces. (You should have about 1 quart of trimmed broccoli.)
- In a 2-quart or larger pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add celery and red onion. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper and broccoli. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 8 minutes.
- Uncover and add milk.
- Mix the corn starch in a tablespoon of water and add, stirring well. Bring back to a simmer, stirring until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese until incorporated and melted. Serve hot.