- 1 lb seitan pieces
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 c evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 c Italian herb seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 quarts corn oil or peanut oil
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- In a second shallow bowl, mix the evaporated milk and sour cream until well blended.
- Place the bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge the seitan in the flour, dip in the milk mixture, and roll in the bread crumbs.
- When all of the seitan pieces are breaded, place them in the refrigerator.
- Pour the oil into an electric fryer set to 360 degrees, or pour it into a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, using a candy thermometer to get the oil to 360 degrees F.
- Fry about 12 pieces of seitan at a time, until golden brown on all sides. Drain on a metal rack.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce or *make a simple tartar sauce by mixing 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part sweet pickle relish. Add a sprinkle of turmeric and/or paprika if desired.