No need to pay extra money for an envelope of brown gravy mix. Here is a simple recipe that produces a nice non-fat vegan gravy at a fraction of the cost.
Makes about 2 cups of gravy.
- 1 Tbsp beef style vegetarian seasoning and broth mix (McKay’s or similar)
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 c water or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the broth mix with the Worcestershire sauce and water; blend well.
- Melt the margarine in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add the flour and blend well until bubbling and browning.
- Using a wire whisk, stir constantly while gradually adding the broth mixture. When thick and bubbling, stir in the salt and pepper and simmer one minute. Pour into gravy boat and serve hot.