This salad is traditionally served warm. I used Yves “The Good Dog” vegetarian frankfurters here, but any vegetarian brand will work.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 5-6 vegetarian wieners
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 c chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry powdered mustard
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 c chopped celery
- 3/4 c chopped red bell pepper
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Place washed potatoes in a medium pot and add salted water to cover. Over medium heat, bring to boil.
- Simmer 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Allow to cool until you can handle them.
- Peel potatoes and dice into bite-sized pieces. Place in large bowl.
- Cut wieners into one-inch pieces. In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Brown wiener pieces in the oil on all sides (for about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and using a slotted spoon, remove wiener pieces to the bowl of potatoes. Save skillet.
- In small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt, mustard, and white pepper. Set aside.
- In a small beaker, blend water and vinegar.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, and saute two minutes.
- Whisk in flour mixture until bubbly. Add water/vinegar mixture and whisk until thick and it has simmered 1 full minute.
- Stir in the celery and red bell pepper. Allow to cook one more minute. Pour over potatoes and frankfurters. Toss gently until the sauce has coated everything.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Place half of the potato mixture in the bottom of the dish. Add half of the cheese.
- Repeat, ending with cheese. Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.