No need to soak the textured vegetable protein, TVP, for this recipe. The TVP will soften and swell while simmering in the broth. This makes a rich stew-like dish. There may be no need for salt because Herbes de Provence often contains salt, as do many broth mixtures.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 1 quart chicken style vegetarian broth
- 1/2 c TVP chicken strips (dried soya protein)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 c converted rice
- 1 c frozen peas
- salt if needed
- In medium pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and celery until softened.
- Add garlic and herbs and saute another minute.
- Pour in the broth and add the TVP. Bring to boil over medium heat, lower flame, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and rice.
- Bring back to boil over medium, lower heat, stir and cover tightly.
- Cook 15 minutes, add peas, and continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust for salt.