The slow caramelization of the onions is what gives this dish its wonderful flavor. Also, the Egyptian yogurt sauce provides the perfect balance to the earthy rice and mushrooms. TVP is textured vegetable protein and is a dry product you can find in any health food store. To give plain TVP granules a beefy taste and chunky texture, use our recipe for TVP Beefy Crumbles.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 c TVP beefy crumbles or beef-flavored textured vegetable protein, reconstituted
- 1 c sliced mushrooms
- 1 c vegetarian chicken style broth
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c raw white rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
* Egyptian Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt (use less if you have kosher or fine salt)
- 1 c plain Greek yogurt (or strained regular yogurt)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Heat the oil over a low flame in a large skillet and add onion.
- Cook gently until soft and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Add TVP and mushrooms and saute 8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to simmering over medium heat.
- Lower heat all the way down and cover tightly. (If your lid is not tight, put a sheet of aluminum foil under the lid, but remove carefully because hot condensation may collect on it.)
- Simmer about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve with a dollop of Egyptian Yogurt Sauce*.
Egyptian Yogurt Sauce:
- Mash the garlic and coarse salt to a paste using a mortar and pestle. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, mince the garlic with the salt.
- Put the yogurt, mashed garlic, lemon juice and cumin in a bowl and mix.