If you have an abundance of arugula as I did this week, this is a great way to use it! Use home-cooked or canned lentil to make this simple, healthful dish.
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 4-6 c arugula, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 c onion, finely chopped
- 1 c celery, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp capers, minced (optional)
- 2 c cooked lentils
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, in boiling, salted water. During the last 3 minutes of cooking time, add the arugula and stir. When macaroni tests done, drain, but reserve a cup of cooking water.
- In a large, heavy pot over low heat, melt the butter. Add onion and celery; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and capers. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and bring to heat.
- Fold in the drained macaroni and cooking liquid. Correct for seasonings and if desired, add a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Serve hot.