Here is another fantastic recipe by my son. I used whole wheat Israeli Couscous in my version, but my son’s original recipe used instant couscous. If you use instant couscous, you will not need to simmer it. Follow the directions on the package.
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1 c Israeli couscous
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground sumac
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced super thin
- 1/4 c finely chopped dry figs
- 1/4 c chopped Brazil nuts or other nuts
- Place the water, couscous, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from burner and keep covered.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Saute the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, sumac and paprika in the oil for a minute or until aromatic.
- Add the carrots. Saute another minute.
- Stir in the couscous, figs and nuts. Top with cilantro leaves if desired. Serve hot or cold.