This basic recipe for a meaty, peppery mushroom mixture can be used in many dishes, such as ‘Mushroom Meat’ Turnovers and Tomato ‘Mushroom Meat’ Lasagna.
Makes about 2 1/4 cups.
- 16 oz fresh mushrooms (Baby Bellas are recommended.)
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 c shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper (optional)
- salt to taste
- 4 oz vegan crumbled ground ‘beef’ (Lightlife Smart Ground Original)
- Coarsely chop mushrooms and onions. Working in one or two batches, place them in a food processor. Pulse until thoroughly processed into a coarse pulp.
- Saute the mushroom mixture in the oil over medium-high heat, until much of the water is cooked off (around 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add cheese and pepper; blend. Taste this mixture to determine if salt is needed.
- Incorporate ground beef substitute. Use immediately in recipes, or wrap tightly and refrigerate. Use within a day or two.