I use a food processor to grind the dry TVP. You may use granules or larger TVP chunks, but grind them to the texture of breadcrumbs. In the photo above, I have used this breading mix to bread my homemade stewed seitan. One recipe of breading mix will bread one batch of the stewed seitan. The breading may be used for deep frying vegetables and meat substitutes as well.
Makes about 2/3 cup breading mix.
- 1/2 c finely ground textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Place ground TVP in a small bottle.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Shake or stir well. Seal tightly.
- Use within a month or so.
- To use: Lay out one shallow bowl containing a beaten egg/milk mixture and one shallow bowl containing the breading mix. Dip items to be breaded in egg/milk mixture first. Then coat in breading before deep frying in high temperature oil at 360 degrees F.