Very smooth and meaty, these meatballs are made with nutmeat, ground almonds. You can find almond meal in your health food market or you can grind chopped raw almonds in a food processor or spice mill.
Makes about 36 meatballs. Serves 8.
- 1 c almond meal
- 1 c shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 c cottage cheese
- 1 Tbsp granulated dry onion
- 1/2 tsp granulated dry garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 1/2 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 4-6 c pasta sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil a large baking sheet.
- Using your hands to get a thorough mix, combine all of the ingredients except the sauce in a large bowl.
- Form one-inch meatballs and place close together, but not touching, on the oiled sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes, flipping over half-way through.
- In a covered 3 quart covered casserole dish, place a layer of sauce, all of the meatballs, and the remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes more.
- Serve with pasta or on Italian rolls.