Here is a go-to recipe for open-faced sauerkraut sandwiches. The sandwiches make a perfect vegetarian lunch and can be served with a baked potato for dinner. Best of all, they make a low calorie, inexpensive meal.
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tsp butter, softened
- 4 tsp prepared mustard (horseradish mustard is best)
- 1-15 oz can sauerkraut, drained well but not wrung dry
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2-3 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread lightly and place it, butter-side down, on a baking sheet. Spread the tops of the bread with mustard, about one teaspoon each.
- Place one-fourth of the sauerkraut in an even layer on each slice of bread. Top with tomato slices and cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with a few flakes of red pepper.
- Bake about ten minutes in the center of the oven, or until the bottoms are crisp but not burnt and the cheese has melted. Serve hot.