Peanuts and tofu are inexpensive forms of protein, but you will not feel deprived with this dish. This Asian-inspired meal is delicious, satisfying, and complete.
- 8 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
- 3 c stir fry vegetables (broccoli, carrots, snow peas, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil (optional)
- 1/2 c unsalted peanuts, skinned
- 2 dry red chilies, whole
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 Tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Place a medium pot of salted water to boil. Add the cubed tofu to water. Let the tofu remain in the water until it returns to a boil and the tofu cubes rise to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon to a holding dish, keeping the water boiling in the pot. Drop the stir fry vegetables into the pot. Bring back to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and place in a separate holding dish.
- In a small bowl, mix all sauce ingredients; blend well and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and sesame seed oil on medium. Add the chiles and stir-fry them a few seconds, or until they turn brown; discard. In the same oil, stir-fry the peanuts about one minute, or until they are light brown; remove with a slotted spoon to a large tray or baking sheet lined with clean toweling.
- In the same oil, stir-fry the tofu cubes. Let the tofu cook until golden brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to the towel-lined tray.
- Add the red onions and the stir fry vegetables to the wok or skillet. Saute about 2 minutes. Stir the sauce again and add it to the wok; stir until thick. Add the tofu and peanuts and cook only long enough to warm everything. Serve hot on a bed of rice.