Your whole house will smell like you are cooking ground beef hamburgers with this recipe. Serve on soft buns with avocado, mayo, and chopped onion for a special treat.
Makes about (16) 3-inch hamburgers.
- 1 c light gluten shreds (a seitan product)
- 1 c hot water
- 1 tsp vegetarian bouillon or broth mix
- 1-15 oz can kidney beans (about 1 1/2 c)
- 2/3 c fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp dry marjoram
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- salt, only if using unsalted broth mix
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- Soak gluten shreds in hot water and broth mix for 10 minutes.
- Rinse beans carefully in a colander and drain well. Place in a food processor.
- To the beans, add gluten shreds with soaking liquid, bread crumbs, flour, paprika, salt, red pepper, garlic, marjoram, oregano, fennel seeds, pepper, eggs and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Pulse, then process until uniform in texture but not entirely smooth. (Mixture will be soft and moist.)
- In a large skillet or griddle on medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Working in one or two batches, drop about 1/3 cup of the mixture per hamburger, and smooth into a thin disc shape with back of spoon.
- Cook hamburgers about 4-5 minutes on the first side, or until well browned and firm. Flip over and cook about 2 minutes more.