This is a vegetarian version of Goya’s recipe which appears on their cans of “Habichuelas Romanas”, also called Roman Beans, cranberry beans, or Borlotti beans. The cranberry beans are the best legumes to use in this recipe, but I have used red beans, and they work out very well too.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/4 c green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c tomato sauce
- 3/4 c water
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 (15 oz) can cranberry beans (or 2 c cooked)
- 1 packet Sazon Goya with Culantro and Achiote
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, pepper and garlic; sauté 5 minutes
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or elbow macaroni.