I make this dish for breakfast or lunch in a small toaster oven, but it can be made in a standard oven too. You do not need expensive gluten free baking mixes for this wonderful dish.
- 10 oz frozen broccoli, thawed
- 3/4 c besan (garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- scant 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 c gluten-free melting cheese, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter 6-cup casserole dish or pie plate. (If using toaster oven, no need to preheat.)
- Place broccoli evenly in bottom of casserole dish.
- In medium bowl, mix besan with baking powder, salt and pepper. Cut in butter with fork until evenly dispersed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and sour cream until creamy. Add 1/2 of the cheese and stir. Add this egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a batter forms and no dry flour appears.
- Pour batter evenly over broccoli. Scatter the remaining cheese on top. Bake uncovered** for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and set up. Cool slightly before cutting in wedges or squares.
**(If using toaster oven, cover dish with foil before baking.)