Buy your favorite brand of Zaatar (Za’atar) in a Mid-Eastern store or make your own homemade version by following our recipe here.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 c tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp Zaatar
- 1 tsp date molasses or sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 (15.5 oz) can Borlotti beans (also called “cranberry beans” or “Roman beans”), drained
- lemon wedges
- In a heavy pot on medium low heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion and carrots; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomato juice, Zaatar, date molasses, salt, pepper and Borlotti beans.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls with bread on the side, or on top of steamed rice. Sprinkle with more Zaatar if desired and serve with lemon wedges.