- 6 c sliced (1/4″) zucchini*
- 1/4 c hot water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 4 slices day old bread (4 oz)
- 1 c vegetarian beefy crumbles
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil an 8 X 2 inch round or square baking dish.
- Place the zucchini in a large skillet with the hot water, olive oil, salt, oregano and basil. Bring to a simmer on medium low. Stir frequently for 5-10 minutes, or until barely tender. Drain.
- Place bread in the bottom of the oiled baking dish, overlapping or cutting to fit.
- Brown beefy crumbles according to package directions (if needed). Place a layer of beefy crumbles evenly over the bread.
- Place the drained zucchini slices on top of the crumbles.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the sour cream, shredded cheddar and parsley. Beat until well-incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture over the zucchini. Spread evenly. (It will come up to the top of the dish.) Place the dish on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until the top is golden. Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving with a crisp salad.
*I leave zucchini peel on, and if the zucchini is very large, I cut it in half lengthwise before slicing.