Lots of zucchini in your garden? Here is a new and flavorful way to prepare it!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 c milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan or other hard cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in small dice
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place quartered potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add salt and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain well. Add milk and butter. Mash until smooth and set aside.
- In a 12-inch heavy skillet or large pot over medium heat, warm olive oil.
- Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper, garlic, season salt, marjoram, dill and pepper. Saute for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Spread half of the mashed potatoes over the bottom in an even layer.
- Add all of the zucchini mixture in an even layer.
- Place the remaining potatoes evenly on top and sprinkle with the cheese. If desired, add a pinch more of dill.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.