Vege-Steak is put out by Loma Linda Wholesome Foods in their Vibrant Life line. It is a canned low-fat high protein food that is shaped like sirloin tips. I think you will agree that this makes a delicious meal.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp gumbo ffilé (thickening, flavor agent)
- 1/3 c parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 -19 oz can Vege-Steak with broth
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 1 c water
- In large skillet over low heat, saute onion, celery and red bell pepper about 10 minutes in olive oil.
- Add Creole seasoning, gumbo file, parsley, oregano, garlic, jalapeño and basil; saute another minute.
- Drain Vege-Steak, reserving broth.
- Cut the Vege-Steak pieces into quarters and add them to the skillet.
- Add Vege-Steak broth, tomato sauce, and water.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Lower heat and cover loosely. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Serve hot over Louisiana long grain rice.