This casserole gets its spicy kick from the pepper jack cheese. For the meaty texture, Crimini mushrooms and vegetarian sausage crumbles are added. The blend is very nice.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz Crimini mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground Indian bay leaf or cinnamon
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 c tomatoes, diced
- 4 oz vegetarian sausage crumbles (such as those by MorningStar Farms)
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c milk
- 1 c pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and oil a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir well.
- Add the mushrooms, eggplant, salt, Indian bay leaf, mint and water.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the eggplant and mushrooms have deepened in color.
- Stir in the tomatoes and sausage crumbles and place this mixture in the prepared dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine and stir in the flour and salt until bubbly.
- Add the milk and whisk until thick and beginning to bubble.
- Take off heat and stir in the cheese.
- Spoon this creamy sauce evenly over the vegetable mixture and bake 30 minutes.
- Brown under the broiler for 2 minutes if desired.
- Serve hot with potatoes or rice.