Here is another entry in our weekly Terkettes challenge. These are spicy, crunchy, oven-baked Terkettes with a creamy Mexican style sauce. They are quick and easy to make, with almost no fat.
- 1/2 c salsa
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour (or use rice flour)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c panko or other plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp dry cilantro
- 1 tsp ground red chili pepper
- 1 – 20 ounce can Terkettes, drained (or use seitan)
- lime wedges
- Mix the salsa and mayonnaise well and refrigerate. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Oil a large baking sheet with the canola oil.
- In small bowl, place the flour. In another small bowl, combine lime juice and beaten egg. In a third bowl, mix the panko, cilantro and chili pepper.
- Dredge the Terkettes in flour, dip in egg mixture, and roll in seasoned panko. Place on oiled baking sheet and bake in upper half of oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn each Terkette over. Return to oven for 5 minutes, or until brown.
- Serve with the salsa-mayonnaise sauce and wedges of lime.