Vegelets are a canned seitan product produced by Vibrant Life. This recipe calls for vegan Italian seasoned bread crumbs, but you can make your own by adding a heaping teaspoon of Italian herbs to each cup of plain bread crumbs.
- 1/2 c rice flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c soy milk
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 c fine dry vegan Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-19 oz can Vegelets, drained
- oil for frying
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl and blend in the salt and pepper.
- In a second shallow bowl, mix the soy milk and chia seeds. Allow to stand 10 minutes and then whisk thoroughly.
- Place the bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl
- Dredge the Vegelets in the flour mixture, dip in the milk mixture and roll in the bread crumbs. When all of the Vegelets are breaded, place them in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the oil into an electric fryer set to 360 degrees, or pour it into a heavy pot, using a candy thermometer to get the oil to 360 degrees F.
- Fry a few pieces of the breaded Vegelets at a time, until golden brown on all sides. (This only takes a minute or two.) Drain on a metal rack over a baking sheet or in a metal strainer over a bowl. Serve hot with potatoes and vegetables or at room temperature on top of a green salad.